Effective Date: 26 September 2015
Welcome. This Policy is designed to help you understand generally how the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation landing page that you access via the United Nations Foundation “globalgoals.org” website (the “Site”) collects personally identifying information about you and how the Foundation uses and discloses that personal information. This Site has been developed by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (the “Foundation,” “we,” “us” etc.), a charitable trust existing under the laws of the State of Washington, U.S.A. You may contact us at our Address For Legal Notices below. This Policy applies to information that personally identifies you (other than publicly available information) (“personal information”) collected through the Site or, where indicated, other information you provide to us.
Table of Contents
1. How Does This Policy Relate to Use of the Site?
2. Information We Collect That You Do Not Provide
3. Information We Collect That You Do Provide
4. Information You Provide About Others
5. What We Generally Do with Personal Information Collected
6. Your Ability to Update Personal Information
7. Information Security
8. Your Particular Consents
10. Identity Theft
12. Information About Enforcement of Our Policy
- How Does This Policy Relate to Use of the Site?
2. Information We Collect That You Do Not Provide
We may collect personal information without you having to enter any information on the Site. For example, we may receive personal information from public sources of from third parties (which we may combine with other information from other sources).
- Information We Collect That You Do Provide
Through this site, we are looking to understand better the audience we are seeking to engage. Accordingly, we may ask you to submit personal information (PI) including your name, birthdate, gender and email address.
We will not collect any sensitive personal information (SPI), including information relating to (a) passwords; (b) financial information; (c) physical, physiological and mental health conditions; (d) sexual orientation, (e) medical history and records; and (f) biometric information.
It is always your choice, or the choice of anyone acting for you, whether to provide personal information. However, some must be provided to participate in certain programs or activities, so the decision not to provide information might limit or eliminate certain functions of the Site or the ability to participate.
- Information You Provide About Others
- What We Generally Do with Personal Information Collected
In general, we use personal information we collect to pursue our mission and operations and to engage in the activity (and related activities) for which we collect it. In general, we will not sell or share your personal information with third parties without obtaining your additional consent, however, we may use your personal information to:
- to understand more about users interested in the Sustainable Development Goals and the related charitable activities we support;
- to fulfill our obligations to you and to respond to any questions or requests;
- to contact you about material changes in our site terms or policies;
- to comply with the law or in good faith belief that such action is necessary to conform with the requirements of law or to comply with legal process served on us;
- to provide to third parties as a result of any reorganization process;
- if you sign up for a blog, feed or newsletter, we may put you on our mailing list.
Subject to applicable law, we reserve the right to use your personal information as described above, including without limitation, to: collect, use, access (or bar access), process, fulfill, disclose, display, respond to legal process or otherwise exercise our rights under applicable law, transfer, store, verify, enforce, delete, and otherwise deal with personal information, and information other than personal information (collectively “Disclose“).
- Your Ability to Update Personal Information
To the extent our systems require your personal information, in general, they provide the ability for you to update your information. If you have any questions about what personal information about you the Foundation retains, please contact us at email@example.com. The foundation endeavors to keep your personal information accurate and up to date. If your personal information has changed, you may submit your new information there as well.
We keep personal information for as long as we think is necessary or advisable and we reserve the right to retain it to the full extent not prohibited by law. We may discard personal information in our discretion, so you should retain your own records, and not rely upon our storage of any personal information or other data.
- Information Security
We use reasonable technical and organizational measures to protect the personal information received from our users from unauthorized use or disclosure, and specifically, we require our vendor to comply with the IS/ISO/IEC 27001 international standard on ‘Information Technology – Security Techniques – Information Security Management System – Requirements.’
- Your Particular Consents
- Consent to International Transfer and Disclosure of Personal Information. We are involved in programs and activities in a variety of countries. You agree that the Foundation and those with whom we share personal information (“Recipients“) may Disclose and transfer your personal information worldwide (including outside the European Economic Area, if you are based in the European Economic Area) for any purpose relating to our or their mission, operations, programs, or otherwise that is not allowed or prohibited by this Policy.
- Consent to Electronic Notice If There is a Security Breach: If we or a Recipient is required to provide notice of unauthorized access or other invasion of certain security systems, you agree that we (or they) may do so when required (or voluntarily) by posting notice on our Site or sending notice to any email address we have for you, in our (or their) good faith discretion. You agree that notice to you will count as notice to others for whom you are acting, and agree to pass the notice on to them.
- Consent to Collect Location-based Information. You acknowledge that we may collect information about your geographic location. If you do not disable the technology used to collect location-based information, you consent to its collection and disclosure under the terms of this policy.
We do not want to collect information from children. Do not provide any personal information unless you are at least 13 years of age, and please caution your children not to provide any. If a child under 13 has provided personal information, a parent or guardian may so inform us by writing us at Our Address for Legal Notices (see below) and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to delete it from our database, subject to applicable law and this Policy.
- Identity Theft
If anyone believes they’re a victim of identity theft entitled by law to request information from us, write us at Our Address For Legal Notices and we’ll explain what information we require in order to respond. After receiving that information, we’ll supply (without charge) information we then have that we are legally required to provide (subject to applicable law and reserving all rights and defenses).
We will be changing what we do and how and why we Disclose data periodically—this Policy describes what we currently envision, but that will change as we change. You agree that this Policy amends and replaces any previous privacy polic(ies).
- Information About Enforcement of Our Policy
Our Address for Legal Notices:
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
P.O. Box 23350
Seattle, WA 98102